By John D. Niles
This evaluate of the severe reception of previous English literature from 1900 to the current strikes past a spotlight on person literary texts which will survey different faculties, equipment, and assumptions that experience formed the discipline.
- Examines the striking works and authors from the interval, together with Beowulf, the Venerable Bede, heroic poems, and devotional literature
- Reinforces key views with excerpts from ten serious studies
- Addresses questions of medieval literacy, textuality, and orality, in addition to kind, gender, style, and theme
- Embraces the interdisciplinary nature of the sector almost about ancient reports, non secular experiences, anthropology, artwork background, and more
Read or Download Old English Literature: A Guide to Criticism with Selected Readings (Blackwell Guides to Criticism) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
This quantity discusses, from an ancient and literary perspective, the ways that sanctification and the inscription of saintliness ensue. Going past the normal different types of canonization, cult, liturgical veneration and hagiographical lives, the paintings increases primary concerns relating definitions of saints and saintliness in a interval ahead of the idea that used to be crystallized in canon legislations.
Of their perform of aemulatio, the mimicry of older versions of writing, the Augustan poets usually seemed to the Greeks: Horace drew notion from the lyric poets, Virgil from Homer, and Ovid from Hesiod, Callimachus, and others. yet by the point of the good Roman tragedian Seneca, the Augustan poets had supplanted the Greeks because the "classics" to which Seneca and his contemporaries referred.
The point of interest of this e-book is medieval vernacular literature in Western Europe. Chapters are written through specialists within the quarter and current the present scholarship on the time this booklet was once initially released in 1996. every one bankruptcy has a bibliography of vital works in that quarter to boot. this can be a thorough and trustworthy consultant to traits in examine on medieval Arthuriana.
Diversified from prior researches weighted towards historic description and person author and paintings, this e-book establishes a normal analytical process and a multi-angled method to ascertain chinese language literature. In historic China, there has been no yes idea of natural literature. contemplating either glossy rules of literature and the corresponding conventional idea, this booklet largely discusses Shi and Fu poetry, Ci poems and Qu verses, novels and essays.
- Venom in Verse: Aristophanes in Modern Greece (Princeton Modern Greek Studies)
- Envisioning Experience in Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages: Dynamic Patterns in Texts and Images
- Figuring the Feminine: The Rhetoric of Female Embodiment in Medieval Hispanic Literature
- Liturgie und Literatur: Historische Fallstudien (Lingua Historica Germanica) (German Edition)
- The Cambridge History of Early Medieval English Literature (The New Cambridge History of English Literature)
- Conversion and Narrative: Reading and Religious Authority in Medieval Polemic (The Middle Ages Series)
Extra info for Old English Literature: A Guide to Criticism with Selected Readings (Blackwell Guides to Criticism)
Old English Literature: A Guide to Criticism with Selected Readings (Blackwell Guides to Criticism) by John D. Niles