By Jeremy Lowe
Read or Download Desiring Truth: The Process of Judgment in Fourteenth-Century Art and Literature (Studies in Medieval History and Culture) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
This quantity discusses, from an ancient and literary attitude, the ways that sanctification and the inscription of saintliness happen. Going past the conventional different types of canonization, cult, liturgical veneration and hagiographical lives, the paintings increases basic concerns relating definitions of saints and saintliness in a interval ahead of the idea that used to be crystallized in canon legislations.
Of their perform of aemulatio, the mimicry of older types of writing, the Augustan poets usually regarded to the Greeks: Horace drew concept from the lyric poets, Virgil from Homer, and Ovid from Hesiod, Callimachus, and others. yet by the point of the nice Roman tragedian Seneca, the Augustan poets had supplanted the Greeks because the "classics" to which Seneca and his contemporaries referred.
The focal point of this e-book is medieval vernacular literature in Western Europe. Chapters are written through specialists within the region and current the present scholarship on the time this ebook was once initially released in 1996. each one bankruptcy has a bibliography of significant works in that sector to boot. this can be a thorough and trustworthy consultant to tendencies in learn on medieval Arthuriana.
Diversified from prior researches weighted towards old description and person author and paintings, this booklet establishes a basic analytical procedure and a multi-angled method to ascertain chinese language literature. In old China, there has been no sure idea of natural literature. contemplating either sleek principles of literature and the corresponding conventional idea, this ebook commonly discusses Shi and Fu poetry, Ci poems and Qu verses, novels and essays.
- Melancholy, Love, and Time: Boundaries of the Self in Ancient Literature
- Following Zwingli: Applying the Past in Reformation Zurich (St. Andrews Studies in Reformation History)
- Liturgie und Literatur: Historische Fallstudien (Lingua Historica Germanica) (German Edition)
- The Raft of Odysseus: The Ethnographic Imagination of Homer's Odyssey: The Ethnographic Imagination of Homer's "Odyssey"
- Poems in Context: Greek Poetry in the Egyptian Thebaid 200-600 AD (Sozomena)
- Wordplay and Powerplay in Latin Poetry (Trends in Classics - Supplementary Volumes)
Extra info for Desiring Truth: The Process of Judgment in Fourteenth-Century Art and Literature (Studies in Medieval History and Culture)
Desiring Truth: The Process of Judgment in Fourteenth-Century Art and Literature (Studies in Medieval History and Culture) by Jeremy Lowe