By Robert Flaceliere
Read Online or Download A Literary History of Greece PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
This quantity discusses, from an ancient and literary perspective, the ways that sanctification and the inscription of saintliness occur. Going past the conventional different types of canonization, cult, liturgical veneration and hagiographical lives, the paintings increases primary matters touching on definitions of saints and saintliness in a interval earlier than the concept that was once crystallized in canon legislations.
Of their perform of aemulatio, the mimicry of older versions of writing, the Augustan poets frequently regarded to the Greeks: Horace drew notion from the lyric poets, Virgil from Homer, and Ovid from Hesiod, Callimachus, and others. yet by the point of the good Roman tragedian Seneca, the Augustan poets had supplanted the Greeks because the "classics" to which Seneca and his contemporaries referred.
The focal point of this ebook is medieval vernacular literature in Western Europe. Chapters are written through specialists within the region and current the present scholarship on the time this e-book was once initially released in 1996. every one bankruptcy has a bibliography of vital works in that region in addition. it is a thorough and trustworthy advisor to traits in study on medieval Arthuriana.
Various from past researches weighted towards ancient description and person author and paintings, this booklet establishes a basic analytical approach and a multi-angled method to envision chinese language literature. In historic China, there has been no yes proposal of natural literature. contemplating either glossy rules of literature and the corresponding conventional idea, this e-book greatly discusses Shi and Fu poetry, Ci poems and Qu verses, novels and essays.
- Gonzalo de Berceo and the Latin Miracles of the Virgin: A Translation and a Study
- Reading Fiction with Lucian: Fakes, Freaks and Hyperreality (Greek Culture in the Roman World)
- The Gnostic Paradigm: Forms of Knowing in English Literature of the Late Middle Ages (The New Middle Ages)
- The Political Biographies of Cornelius Nepos
- The Novellino or One Hundred Ancient Tales: An Edition and Translation based on the 1525 Gualteruzzi editio princeps (Garland Library of Medieval Literature)
Extra info for A Literary History of Greece
A Literary History of Greece by Robert Flaceliere