By Robert D. Fulk,Christopher M. Cain
- Introduces previous English texts and considers their relation to Anglo-Saxon culture.
- Responds to renewed emphasis on old and cultural contexts within the box of medieval studies.
- Treats nearly the whole variety of textual varieties preserved in outdated English.
- Considers the construction, reception and makes use of of outdated English texts.
- Integrates the Anglo-Latin backgrounds an important to figuring out outdated English literature.
- Offers very vast bibliographical guidance.
- Demonstrates that Anglo-Saxon reports is uniquely positioned to give a contribution to present literary debates.
Read or Download A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
This quantity discusses, from an ancient and literary attitude, the ways that sanctification and the inscription of saintliness occur. Going past the conventional different types of canonization, cult, liturgical veneration and hagiographical lives, the paintings increases basic concerns referring to definitions of saints and saintliness in a interval prior to the idea that was once crystallized in canon legislation.
Of their perform of aemulatio, the mimicry of older versions of writing, the Augustan poets frequently regarded to the Greeks: Horace drew concept from the lyric poets, Virgil from Homer, and Ovid from Hesiod, Callimachus, and others. yet by the point of the good Roman tragedian Seneca, the Augustan poets had supplanted the Greeks because the "classics" to which Seneca and his contemporaries referred.
The focal point of this booklet is medieval vernacular literature in Western Europe. Chapters are written via specialists within the region and current the present scholarship on the time this publication used to be initially released in 1996. every one bankruptcy has a bibliography of significant works in that region in addition. it is a thorough and trustworthy consultant to developments in study on medieval Arthuriana.
Varied from prior researches weighted towards old description and person author and paintings, this publication establishes a normal analytical procedure and a multi-angled technique to envision chinese language literature. In historic China, there has been no convinced notion of natural literature. contemplating either glossy rules of literature and the corresponding conventional thought, this booklet greatly discusses Shi and Fu poetry, Ci poems and Qu verses, novels and essays.
- The Cynewulf Reader (Basic Readings in Anglo-Saxon England)
- The Languages of Aristophanes: Aspects of Linguistic Variation in Classical Attic Greek (Oxford Classical Monographs)
- The Ideology of Classicism: Language, History, and Identity in Dionysius of Halicarnassus (Untersuchungen Zur Antiken Literatur Und Geschichte)
- Queering Richard Rolle: Mystical Theology and the Hermit in Fourteenth-Century England (The New Middle Ages)
- Gender Transgressions: Crossing the Normative Barrier in Old French Literature (Garland Library of Medieval Literature)
Extra info for A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature)
A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) by Robert D. Fulk,Christopher M. Cain