By Peter Borsay
A historical past of Leisure
- explores more than a few pursuits, from festive tradition and tune to tourism and sport
- emphasises a conceptual and important technique, instead of an easy narrative history
- covers quite a number topics together with financial system, country, category, identities, position, area and time
- treats the constituent components of the British Isles as a fluid and dynamic amalgam of neighborhood and nationwide cultures and polities.
Authoritative and interesting, this article demanding situations traditional perspectives at the historical past of rest and indicates new techniques to the topic. Borsay attracts upon the insights supplied by means of various disciplines along that of heritage - anthropology, the humanities, geography and sociology - to supply a vital consultant to this attention-grabbing sector of study.
Read or Download A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500 PDF
Best sociology of sports books
This publication tackles problems with globalization within the English leading League and unpicks what this suggests to fan teams worldwide, drawing upon a range of sociological theories to inform the tale of the neighborhood and international repertoires of motion emanating from the preferred protests at Liverpool and Manchester United soccer golf equipment.
With a world line-up of members, this book examines demanding situations to racism in and during recreation. It addresses the several brokers of switch within the context of wider socio-political shifts and explores problems with coverage formation, practices in game and anti-racism in recreation, and the problem to recreation this present day.
This e-book examines the effect of the 2008 Beijing Olympics and the 2012 London Olympic video games and highlights the newest? findings? within the components of recreation coverage, elite activities system,? recreation media, activity facility administration? and game social? improvement in? the 2 host international locations - China and Britain. ?
From coast to coast, hockey is performed, watched, enjoyed, and detested, however it capability whatever varied in Quebec. even supposing a lot of English Canada believes that hockey is a fanatically social unifier within the French-speaking province, in truth it has regularly been politicized, divided, and afflicted by means of faith, type, gender, and language.
- WM 74: Als der Fußball modern wurde (Rotbuch) (German Edition)
- English National Identity and Football Fan Culture: Who Are Ya?
- Ethics in Youth Sport: Policy and Pedagogical Applications (Routledge Studies in Physical Education and Youth Sport)
- Les jeux olympiques et leurs territoires (Études) (French Edition)
- Sport Sociology (Active Learning in Sport Series)
- Sex, Power and the Games (Genders and Sexualities in the Social Sciences)
Extra info for A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500
A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500 by Peter Borsay