By Jacqueline Stodnick,Renée Trilling
- Explores the interaction among serious conception and Anglo-Saxon studies
- Theoretical framework will attract expert students in addition to these new to the field
- Includes an afterword at the worth of the discussion among Anglo-Saxon stories and important theory
Read or Download A Handbook of Anglo-Saxon Studies (Critical Theory Handbooks) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
This quantity discusses, from an historic and literary attitude, the ways that sanctification and the inscription of saintliness happen. Going past the conventional different types of canonization, cult, liturgical veneration and hagiographical lives, the paintings increases basic concerns bearing on definitions of saints and saintliness in a interval earlier than the concept that used to be crystallized in canon legislation.
Of their perform of aemulatio, the mimicry of older types of writing, the Augustan poets frequently regarded to the Greeks: Horace drew idea from the lyric poets, Virgil from Homer, and Ovid from Hesiod, Callimachus, and others. yet by the point of the nice Roman tragedian Seneca, the Augustan poets had supplanted the Greeks because the "classics" to which Seneca and his contemporaries referred.
The focal point of this booklet is medieval vernacular literature in Western Europe. Chapters are written via specialists within the region and current the present scholarship on the time this ebook used to be initially released in 1996. each one bankruptcy has a bibliography of significant works in that zone besides. this can be a thorough and trustworthy advisor to traits in learn on medieval Arthuriana.
Diversified from prior researches weighted towards historic description and person author and paintings, this e-book establishes a normal analytical procedure and a multi-angled method to ascertain chinese language literature. In historic China, there has been no certain inspiration of natural literature. contemplating either sleek principles of literature and the corresponding conventional suggestion, this publication commonly discusses Shi and Fu poetry, Ci poems and Qu verses, novels and essays.
- The Empire of the Self: Self-Command and Political Speech in Seneca and Petronius
- Medieval Religion and its Anxieties: History and Mystery in the Other Middle Ages (The New Middle Ages)
- Performing Manuscript Culture: Poetry, Materiality, and Authorship in Thomas Hoccleve’s "Regement of Princes" (Trends in Medieval Philology)
- The Anonymous Marie de France
Extra resources for A Handbook of Anglo-Saxon Studies (Critical Theory Handbooks)
A Handbook of Anglo-Saxon Studies (Critical Theory Handbooks) by Jacqueline Stodnick,Renée Trilling