By Craig W. Kallendorf
- A entire creation and evaluation of the classical culture - the translation of classical texts in later centuries
- Comprises 26 newly commissioned essays from a world group of experts
- Divided into 3 sections: a chronological survey, a geographical survey, and a piece illustrating the connections among the classical culture and modern theory
Read Online or Download A Companion to the Classical Tradition (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
This quantity discusses, from an ancient and literary attitude, the ways that sanctification and the inscription of saintliness ensue. Going past the conventional different types of canonization, cult, liturgical veneration and hagiographical lives, the paintings increases basic matters touching on definitions of saints and saintliness in a interval earlier than the concept that was once crystallized in canon legislations.
Of their perform of aemulatio, the mimicry of older versions of writing, the Augustan poets frequently seemed to the Greeks: Horace drew thought from the lyric poets, Virgil from Homer, and Ovid from Hesiod, Callimachus, and others. yet by the point of the nice Roman tragedian Seneca, the Augustan poets had supplanted the Greeks because the "classics" to which Seneca and his contemporaries referred.
The focal point of this booklet is medieval vernacular literature in Western Europe. Chapters are written by way of specialists within the zone and current the present scholarship on the time this e-book was once initially released in 1996. every one bankruptcy has a bibliography of vital works in that sector besides. this can be a thorough and trustworthy consultant to developments in learn on medieval Arthuriana.
Diverse from prior researches weighted towards ancient description and person author and paintings, this ebook establishes a basic analytical method and a multi-angled technique to check chinese language literature. In historical China, there has been no certain inspiration of natural literature. contemplating either smooth principles of literature and the corresponding conventional inspiration, this e-book extensively discusses Shi and Fu poetry, Ci poems and Qu verses, novels and essays.
- Theorizing the Ideal Sovereign: The Rise of the French Vernacular Royal Biography
- Figures of Resistance: Language, Poetry, and Narrating in The Tale of the Genji and Other Mid-Heian Texts (Post-Contemporary Interventions)
- Ennius and the Architecture of the Annales
- Hermenegildo and the Jesuits: Staging Sainthood in the Early Modern Period
Extra resources for A Companion to the Classical Tradition (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to the Classical Tradition (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Craig W. Kallendorf